CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Geocaching for fun and fitness

I always find myself on a quest for my next great adventure, I find that as soon as one adventure is complete I must go and search for my next adventure. I have wondered if other people are like this and I know for certain kids are like this so I thought this may be a helpful post for parents who are looking for ways to be fit and have fun with their kids at the same time. Geocaching fits this description perfectly, it can be used as a way to have fun and exercise while searching for geocaches. I discovered geochaching while looking for an adventure. Little did I know that on this particular adventure I would find some treasure as well.


Geocaching (as taken from geocaching.com) is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

This sport appealed to my sense of adventure on so many levels; first, I could get my fiancĂ©e involved because he likes to “geek out” and geocaching involves the use of computers and GPS. He was all over that which was a huge help to me because I am technologically remedial.


Second, this sport requires being outdoors, being outside really appeals to my sense of adventure, I feel more free and more fit when I am active in the outdoors.


Third, kids love this too, it is a fantastic way to engage your whole family in exercise and activity. Children that love technology and computer games will be hooked by the use of GPS and having their own real life game to play. Smaller children will love finding the hidden treasures.

Fourth, finding treasure, that is just cool, I mean that makes me like a modern day pirate right?


The geochaching community is large and is constantly growing, chances are there are multiple caches hidden all aver your neighborhood at any time. You can even get started by hiding your own cache filled with your own treasures.


Geocachers are very respectful of the environment and practice a chache in trash out philosophy. Geocaching.com has also partnered with the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy to protect America’s irreplaceable rail corridors by transforming them into multiuse trails.


Try geocaching today with your family visit Geocaching.com to learn how to start, if you do not have access to a GPS unit or are unable to obtain one visit letterboxing.org to find letterboxes hidden without the use of GPS. Geocaching is a fun sport in which you and your family can compete with other geocachers or you can do it for fun at a relaxed pace. You and your family will have the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, bond with each other, and share a sense of comraderie with the Geocaching community at large. So I recomend Geocaching as a way for fit mommies to stay fit, have fun, and set out on their own adventure.

0 comments: